How to Make Sushi Rolls and Perfect Sushi Rice .
First, start with SHORT GRAIN SUSHI RICE, but if we pay attention to the shape of the grain, we can also choose other varieties, perhaps risotto rice such as “Roma”.
Wash the rice with COLD WATER to remove any residual starch. Keep going until the water is clear.
Soak rice for 15 minutes.
Follow the rice to water ratio, which is always 1:2.
Traditional sushi has Sharizu (or vinegar seasoning) which is made with 9 parts Rice vinegar, 4 parts cane sugar, and 1 part sea salt. Cook it for 2-3 minutes in medium heat. And is added when the rice is cooked. First mix the rice so it cools down, then add the seasoning (1 oz per every cup of rice).
Cover the rice with a damp towel. It will keep it moist and ready.
A GREAT TIP: discard the bottom layer of rice, as it is almost always dry.
HOW TO MAKE SUSHI ROLLS:
First, the nori has two sides: Smooth and Rough. The rough side will always go facing up.
Then, the rolls have three parts:
- Nori on the outside
- Rice on the inside
- Fillings in the center
There are traditional rolls made with fresh fish and world-adapted options prepared with ingredients from each country to make fusions that are very interesting. How do you prepare your sushi?
- Mexican: The use of chipotle, spicy mayonnaise, cream cheese, different chilis, jícama…
- Italian: Prosciutto, basil, tomato, mozzarella…
- Thai: ginger, mango, coriander, peanuts
- Moroccan: couscous, aubergine, tahini, hummus, harissa…
- Bahamian: Decadent Conch Sauce atop a crab stack + cream cheese roll
- Brazilian: Salmon, cream cheese and passionfruit